Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The good separation


I’ve focused a lot of my studies this past year on the connection between the mind and body, the relation between our perceptions and our physical as well as non-physical experiences. There is so much to be said for unifying these two components of ourselves, but I also see benefit in viewing them as somewhat separate. The interaction between these two distinct domains of existence is so delicate, but all the more worthy of our attention..

In light of this, I’ve been trying out a new manner of conceptualizing myself. I’ve begun to think of the mental, emotional, and spiritual parts of me as being in complex relationship with my physical body, rather than being one fused self. While unity is great, I think a perspective of oneness can inhibit us from viewing our bodies as something distinct, something to engage with, listen to and learn from. Regarding our bodies as “other” doesn’t necessarily imply separation, but rather can afford our mind the opportunity to approach our bodies with otherly respect.

I think many of us are hard-pressed to treat ourselves with nearly as much respect as we would other people. Respect and care are perhaps more easily understood in the context of others, but when it comes to our own selves it can often be more complex. We frequently tell ourselves things that we’d never dare tell a friend, but if we viewed our existence as a variety of relationships (external- with others and our environment, and internal- with ourselves), we might then be able to approach the task of caring for ourselves with more respect, discipline, patience, acceptance, and courage.

I’m not advocating a disconnected understanding of the self, but I do think there is much to be gained from allowing our different facets to interact with one another as civilized and compassionate counterparts rather than as a single unsettled unit. When we feel inner tension, it can feel wrong, like we’re messed up with issues that need resolution. But if we were able to understand that tension instead as a very natural relationship by-product, might we respond with a little more grace?


I think the body (as I’ve briefly written about before) is such a raw and sophisticated creature. I think it has a lot to say, with the rare ability to speak without pretense or forethought. But if we lump ourselves all together as just some mass of humanity, we run the risk of overlooking the important differences between our bodies, minds, and hearts, and in so doing, perhaps missing the signs that teach us how to best care for and express ourselves. I believe it is in the dialogue between the various parts of ourselves that we find out what we’re really made of, what we are capable of becoming, and how we might begin to get there.

No comments: